Sunday, February 20, 2011

Keep it simple, stupid

A few years after I got into radio, I had a mentor named Jerry Johnson. Jerry was already at KXEO when I started, but it wasn't until he became general manager that he became my mentor. I'm not sure either one of us knew the exact moment when he took on the role of mentor, nor I to be his student, it just happened as we worked together to make KWWR and KXEO great radio stations.

Jerry was general manager and chief engineer for the stations. I had minored in electronics in college to back up my main studies in broadcasting. So every chance I got, I was alongside Jerry when something needed fixing. Soon I was involved in repairing the Harris System 90 automation systems (one for KXEO and one for KWWR), the audio control boards, the transmitters and anything else that needed fixing at the stations. And over time I became the first person to call when something needed fixing. I could call on Jerry if I got into something over my head and he would take the time teach me some new aspect of repairing the equipment so that maybe next time I wouldn't need to call him.

As I worked in programming and engineering over the years, I learned that If I could show Jerry how replacing a worn out microphone would make the morning DJ sound better (and do a better job), or showed how a new piece of audio processing equipment could keep our sound competitive with the stations in St. Louis or Kansas City would be a valuable asset to the station he would give the OK to proceed.

We did that with hiring people, too. If I found somebody that would be an asset for the stations, and could "sell" Jerry on the idea of making the stations even better - Jerry had no problem in that area either..

With Jerry as General Manager, me as Operations Manager, a sales department that hustled and a programming department that got it right most of the time - the stations had never sounded better.


I think the concept of "can't" wasn't in Jerry's vocabulary. Under his leadership, the stations covered the dedication of the Clarence Cannon Dam at Mark Twain Lake (which is a story all by itself), the stations got in on the on ground floor of the old Wrangler Country Star Search - building up quite a program to recruit and showcase local country music talent. When the AM ground system of wires was found (by me) to be rotting in the early 80's, Jerry headed up a team of us at the station to install an entirely new ground system, using mainly afternoons and weekends, a small tractor and a modified tree planting device borrowed from his brother Jim. We laid in 120 120' copper radials spreading out from the AM tower. When the FM station applied for and was granted a construction permit for a 1,000' tall tower just west of Mexico, Jerry again led the team of us and we surveyed the 40 acre tower site, marking the locations for each concrete anchor point for the guy wires, we built the wood frame transmitter building one summer, in preparation for the new tower. It was tough getting the regular daily radio station business done to a point we could spend those afternoons and weekends on construction - but it was exhilarating.

I'll never forget his rule of keeping it simple - and that applied to everything, from employees to listeners to contests, the audio chain or the transmitter plants.

While many people like to think the stupid in Keep It Simple Stupid doesn't apply to them, that's actually where it should be applied first - from the top and then right on down the line.

Here's an example of KISS in action....Jerry pointed out to me that the National Weather Service apparently loved statistics. "The dryest ...., the coldest ...., the hottest summer on record since 1896". And in forecasting a 20% chance of this, a 50% chance of that, an 80% chance of the other. Jerry said when you boil it all down and get rid of the statistics, all people really want to know is: Is it going to rain?, or Is it going to snow?, how hot or cold is it going to be this morning compared to this afternoon?

So instead of the weather forecast and information being a jumble of statistics - which people are not likely to remember, just KISS - is it going to rain today?

People don't usually talk in statistics - :"There's an 80% chance I'll get hit if I cross before that big bus goes by, but only a 20\% chance of being hit if I wait for the crosswalk sign."

Jerry believed in applying KISS to all aspects of the weather. While the National Weather Service may issue a forecast something like this: "A 30% chance of showers today, a 20% chance of showers tonight and an 80% chance of rain tomorrow" - that's using statistics (probabilities). and not KISS. A more natural or conversational way to state that same forecast would be something like this: "There is a slight chance of rain through tonight and showers are likely tomorrow."

Us common folks are far more likely to remember the KISS methodology to the weather forecast than the forecast that has statistics.

While some translate KISS as Keep It Simple (for) Stupid, Jerry taught me the real meaning is Keep it simple, stupid, where stupid more times than not is yourself.

So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment