Tuesday, August 16, 2011

You don't know what you've got till it's gone

There's a song that goes something like, "you don't know a good thing till it's gone". There are many events and people from my childhood that wouldn't have much meaning or definition until later in life. In fact, when you're a kid, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

It was 1960. I was 4 years old. Next door was a boy about my age, who went by Chippy (as in chip off the old block). Chippy was unique. He had been born with his feet turned backwards, and had undergone numerous surgeries to correct that major problem. He had casts on both legs from his toes to his knees that had rubber pads on the bottom, so Chippy got around very well. His little toes stuck out the end of both casts. The biggest problem for him with the casts was not being able to scratch an itch. Chippy was my first neighborhood friend and I didn't see him as being different - he was just like me, with casts.

If I remember correctly, Chippy told me the casts got changed every 6 weeks. I can't imagine what it must have been like for him - most of the other kids around treated him like he was an outcast. To be born with such a major problem with your feet, and then have kids your same age treat you like you're some thing - it just boggles the mind.

But Chippy had a fantastic attitude. He was always happy. I hope some of that positive attitude rubbed off on me. Chippy never acted like the casts were a handicap for him - he generally did all of the things boys that age do - including hitting a ball with his dad in the backyard.

I thought the summer of 1960 would never end. We had great times playing army in the backyard, playing with cars and trucks and tricycles and worms and rolly polly bugs. The Big Wheel had not been invented yet.

The days seemed long and I couldn't wait for the next day to get back out playing with Chippy.

And then .... a neighbor owned a Great Dane. They would routinely walk the dog past our house and let it poop in our yard. It was a lot of poop every time. (Great Danes have very large feces. I remember thinking at the time, "that looks like a people turd.") The dog pooping in our yard made my mom furious. One day, after the dog had pooped in our yard, she got some paper towels, scooped it up and put it between the door and storm door of the dog owner's place. They saw her doing that and called the police.

Chippy's mom  said,, "Gary, you better come up here" and we went inside upstairs in their apartment. The front window was open so Chippy and I kneeled on the floor to be inconspicuous and we could see and hear what was going on out front.

My mom was explaining to the police officers that the neighbor's dog was frequently allowed to poop in our front yard and they just left it there and she didn't like it. The dog's owners said something about my mom being a "crazy lady" and should be arrested. The police got everyone calmed down and told the dog's owner's they should not let the dog poop in our yard ever again, and that Mrs. Leonard was not a crazy lady. The dog's owners were still mad, but they left and went back inside.

A short time later Chippy and I went back outside to resume playing. I thought, "score 1 for mom!"

The next  year I turned 5 and started kindergarten. I went to Wade Public Elementary School. Chippy went to a nearby catholic school. Some time later that year Chippy and his parents moved away.

Fast forward to 1965. I was watching "Lost in Space" on TV when the phone rang. I grabbed the phone before my dad did and the voice on the other end said, "Is this Gary?" I replied, "Yes." He then said, "you probably don't remember me but this is Chippy." OMG, I couldn't believe it. My friend from a few years back was actually calling me to "catch up". We talked about various things for a while, Chippy said his family had moved to Michigan and I asked, "where's that?" (having never been out of Missouri). Then we said goodbye and I went back to Lost in Space.

Being 9, I didn't think to get his phone number or address and that was last time we ever talked. I don't know what ever happened to Chippy - but his friendship was priceless and unfortunately, would not be matched again in my life.

So it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment