Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Big Day

I've been nervous about our public auction coming up Sunday afternoon. Saturday night I think I found out why  I've been nervous.

Among items we're selling is my 388 Classic Rock Album collection. Anytime I had $10 in the 70s I was buying albums. Saturday night I went downtown to the Sticky Wicket building, hooked up the old Kenwood receiver, fired up the Denon direct drive turntable, all playing through a small set of Radio Shack speakers and listened to a few dozen records.

The music sounded pure. A few songs didn't sound quite like I remembered them sounding - but that was OK - they were all good.



Gregg Allman's album Laid Back. Classic southern rock with a hint of jazz. Robin Trower and Bridge of Sighs - exceptional guitar work. Phoenix by Wishbone Ash - saw them live Thanksgiving night around 1975 at Kiel Auditorium.

Grinderswitch - I think KSHE  may have been one of the few radio stations playing Grinderswitch, but the lean, mean vocals of Dru Lombar and the organ work of Paul Hornsby brought back some great memories of seeing Grinderswitch live at The Granary in Edwardsville, Illinois. A real farm building that had been elegantly converted into a nightclub.  It was a hot summer night and the band was on fire. Tight surroundings. Cozy. If you walked up the stairs you could be just a few feet from the band. Peach County Jamboree and Kiss The Blues Goodbye sounded awesome on that nearly 40 year old vinyl. Just like seeing the band at The Granary.

The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band. Featuring JD Souther from the Eagles, Chris Hillman from the Byrds and Richie Furay from Poco along with Jim Gordon on drums, Paul Harris on keyboards, and Al Perkins on steel guitar. Fallin' in Love and Heavenly Fire were a nice reminder of seeing the band play live at the SIU campus at Edwardsville circa 1974 at an outdoor concert at night.

Cream and the songs Badge, White Room and Sunshine of Your Love. Eric Clapton was being hailed as the world's greatest guitarist shortly after Cream. He performed on his own and as Derek and Dominos after Cream. Awesome music.



Mark-Almond and The City. Pop, rock and jazz in one group - amazing.

Alvin Lee and Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World. Saw them at Keil Auditorium and that was the first time I remember my ears were ringing after the show.



The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour. Made for a great midnight movie at The Varsity Theater in University City as part of an all night Beatles marathon until dawn featuring A Hard Days Night, Help, The Abbey Road Sessions and lots more.You had to be there to understand.

And The Charlie Daniels Band - No Place to Go. KSHE had the group in for a FREE concert at Forest Park in 1975 - and I was there. Thousands of people enjoyed hard driving southern rock across the highway from the old Highlands in a field at Forest Park. Sh$t kicking classic rock with Charlie Daniels singing and playing a mean fiddle.

It was all Classic Rock from the 70s - and featured a number of tunes even the "Classic Rock" radio stations don't play now.

After a long evening and when it was time to go home I felt good. I had no idea listening to those tunes could be so enjoyable after having them stored away for 20+ years. And that's why I'm nervous about the public auction - pieces of my life in the 70s will sell to the highest bidder. So I'l leave you with the words from the inside jacket of The CDB's Fire on the Mountain album - quoting Charlie Daniels.

"Hungover, Red Eyed, Dog Tired Satisfied. It's a Long Road and a little wheel and it takes a lot of turns to get there. Thank you Damn It."

So it goes.

Thank you and good night.

1 comment: